Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Southland Tales

While wandering around in HIV HMV with Ben at the weekend we came across a new DVD that caught the eye: On investigation it transpired that this was a new film from the mind responsible for Donnie Darko, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (aka Buffy), Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock), Seann William Scott (two of him) and even Miranda Richardson! While I went and asked a friendly member of staff about it, Ben sneakily bought the thing and gave it to me as a late extra birthday present. Awww.

So off to Ollie's house where we ended up not watching in as it's LONG and Ben had to get home.

Of course, I had to see it.

The reviews all said it was a bit confusing. Apparently it had been slated at Cannes a few years ago and completely recut before being released late last year. It's still confusing, but with the same tone as Donnie Darko, where you feel like perhaps you're just not intelligent enough to Get It until you realise that actually it's just very silly.

It's good. I enjoyed it. Even Justin Timberlake was good, in fact it's probably the best thing he's ever done. But it really made no sense. And, as it turns out, that's no surprise since I was only getting the second half of the story! Richard Kelly, writer/director, planned the story as a multimedia extravaganza with back story in comc form and a lot of web content - not all of which came to fruition as dreamed.

So now I have to find and read the comics, then go back to the film and see if I can probe the depths of the subplots. I'm quite happy to watch it again, it's very nicely done and has a couple of satisfying musical-esque moments. Perhaps I will inflict it upon someone else as well this time...

In the meantime, here is my favourite bit of the film. Which has now led to me listening to The Killers.

No comments: