Sunday, May 10, 2009

Genius!

I feel like I have to rant publicly - a pleasure rant, though.

Gluten-free bread is practically an oxymoron. Bread, after all, rises nicely because of the gluten, so if you take it out you end up with either a doughy lump or a crumbly mess. At its best GF bread can just about pass for the real thing if you microwave/toast it; Tesco/Sainsbury's have some decent 'multi-seeded' creations and there are some pre-sliced things which make fabulous croutons, but there has always been something missing.

I always test any new GF mock-bread products, and Tesco are forever trying out new ideas: naan, pitta (which usually come out quite successfully), bagels, crumpets, 'sub' rolls, ciabatta (good for making crispy garlic bread but golly! are they crumbly)... so when I spotted a New! one I picked it up. Absentmindedly slicing and toasting it (slicing? That should have alerted me), it seemed nothing special. It wasn't until later when I risked a slice without heating, just a bit of buttery stuff, that I was left agape, spluttering in surprise. This was nice bread! Not just an acceptable imitation of bread which one might eat mostly out of a twisted urge to punish oneself but bread, tasting like bread, which I proceeded to devour in short order because it was nice!

This is Genius Gluten Free. It's made in Edinburgh, no less. I love it.

In other news, the Rudsambee summer concert is on course. An hour of choral goodness in Edinburgh University's Reid Concert Hall , featuring Eric Whitacre's Cloudburst and Five Hebrew Love Songs, Abbie Betinis, Morten Lauridsen, Debussy, Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek and other goodies from the last century, it's free to get into (if you want to reserve a place email info@rudsambee.org.uk) and there will be a charity collection for Arts for Well-Being: Children of the Balkans Society at the end. Do come, it will be fab.

1 comment:

Catriona said...

You're coeliac? Me too, haven't tried the genius bread yet though. I normally just make my own, although the Juvela fresh bread is pretty impressive too.