Friday, June 13, 2008

Anxious? ME?

Last time I went somewhere in an aircraft I was subject to horrific head pain which had involuntary tears of pain streaming down my face and the thought "I wish I would just hurry up and die, rather than suffer this," running through my head. The return trip was moderately less cause for suicidal wishes, but I was very well rested, hydrated and stuffed full of co-codamol, tyrozets and Rescue Remedy, with earplugs for good measure. It was still awful.

In the intervening years it transpired that I had some sort of chronic rhinitis, caused by - well nobody has worked it out yet. I know some things that will make it worse but nothing so far has made it better. The swelling makes it difficult for air pressure to reach a painless equilibrium in my head.

I now face, almost ten years later, another flight. I spent yesterday with a thumping headache due to the change in the weather, pressure changes of this sort being the main cause of headaches these days. I have paracetamol, ibuprofen, steroidal nasal spray, non-steroidal nasal spray, rescue remedy, valerian, skullcap, essential oils to clear passages and, of course, earplugs. The prospect is still causing me some distress...

Furthermore, the weather in the Czech Republic is going to be a good ten to fifteen degrees too hot for my liking.

And there is to be a coach trip up a mountain so we can go for a nice walk. I hate coaches rather like some people hate aircraft. And this is on the day of our concert so we'll have to dash back to our respective hosts' houses to wash and get ready after wearing ourselves out.

I now discover that our carrier, jet2, has baggage restrictions considerably lower than standard. This is going to make it very difficult to carry camera, basics and laptop onboard - it must be under 10Kg and not in excess of 46x30x23cm- nevermind trying to fit clothes etc. into a container which will be secure, sturdy enough to be "handled as many as 15 times between check-in and Baggage Reclaim at your destination airport" and still come in at less than 17kg. A total of 27Kg? I've been known to carry more than that on a daily basis!

I dread to think what disasters may arise when it comes to staying hydrated on the flight. And of course they're sure to dislike my passpost photo, which now looks NOTHING LIKE ME.

So yes, I'm getting a little tense. Which is a pity because I really like flying.
Passport
Me now NOW

No comments: