Monday, June 16, 2008

Week of Chaos pt.1: Sunday

What a long and exhausting day that was! Well, weekend. Friday was a flurry of last-minute shopping for The Trip and then a (failed) attempt to get an early night before The Recording. The early night was somewhat spoiled by a spontaneous outbreak of Poker in Ollie’s living room which left us frazzled and grumpy.

Saturday morning featured myself, Ollie and Helen trying to get to the church on time – pausing briefly for them to make sandwiches for the choir (awwww how thoughtful!).

Many many many hours of recording later, we ‘wrapped’. Helen and Ollie were both quite satisfied with the outcome so we can look forward to the new CD (which I really hope will get called What Are They Doing?, after the Veljo Tormis piece we’ve been singing, Mis teil tehaske?) being filled with a unique and eclectic variety of music, rather than just a fifth disc filled with folk tunes for our public... let's see how they react!

Post-recording we had another fancy dress party, this time hosted by The Siv. I hadn’t had nearly enough time to create an exciting costume so I didn’t even try; I was also a little dazed from all those hours standing around singing with not nearly enough carbs to keep me going. Ollie more than made up for my lack of effort with his Pierrot costume, complete with accordion for that special Tiger Lillies aesthetic. A million (roughly) photos later I stumbled home, having completely forgotten my plan to snatch a few shots of the Moonwalk as it set off. Oh well.

Sunday was destined to be hellish. I had arranged to meet Ben so that I could a)Pick up a book of mine he had and I wanted to take with me and b)Borrow his old laptop. I managed to get into town and met him at the car boot sale in the Greenside Place car park, which was strangely disappointing. I blame eBay, personally: without leaving your seat it is possible to wander around the largest car boot sale imaginable, picking out the things you want without having people randomly shouting at you; it’s also a great lure for the sellers, where they have no pressure to sell in a couple of hours and are likely to get a lot more for their rubbish. So the car boot sale in person lacked something, primarily anything useful or interesting.

We went for coffee in the new café they built onto the side of St Mary’s (the Catholic one) and were generally quite pleased! The coffee was nice, Ben wolfed down his carrot cake and Robert was terribly happy to get a bacon roll for breakfast. Just as well the café wasn’t attached to a synagogue, I suppose. Laptop and book in hand (well, in bag) we set off for some last-last-minute shopping, before I had to dash home and Get Packed!

On reaching Ollie’s house, it transpired that we had a lot of things to do before sleep could be surrendered to. I had been (vainly) hoping that if we were aiming to be at the airport by 0600h then we might get to sleep before 2300h perhaps? But no. Too much, too much to do – not least of which was Helen getting the recording equipment back to the Music Department. I eventually collapsed about 0030, Ollie (I think) an hour or so after that; Helen says she ended up getting about four minutes kip before having to get moving, which explains why she slept so much on the journey...

There's so much to tell that I am going to split it up by days, so tune in later once I've caught up with Monday.

No comments: