Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nerdery

Three Dr Who-related things of note. Disclaimer: Yes, I like Dr Who, no I don't think the original series was the best thing EVAH, I mostly like some of the books because they can be thoroughly enjoyable. So there.

1. Just encountered an amusing quote from Russell T Davies:
[Those rumours about a new Who series get a definitive statement...] Don't ask me about Dr Who, no comment. Except, of course,the Doctor will be gay, his assistant a rent boy, and K9 a condom machine. Russell T Davies 12/11/99


2. A few years ago, just as Tennant was due to kick off, I discovered that a contemporary author of Dr Who (and Faction Paradox, no less!) novels was coming to the Edinburgh Festival. For no good reason I suggested we meet up for a drink and we did so. It was odd but fun.

3. As we are about to go on holiday to the Czech Republic (see Relative Pitch for more information on this) I feel the need for a good new book - i.e. one I haven't read at least twice before. Last time I was due to leave the country I managed to source a Faction Paradox novel I hadn't yet devoured. This time I had almost given up hope until I convinced someone selling the latest FP on eBay (the only one, I might add, to have ever sold it on eBay) to let me Buy It Now. It was only then that I realised the seller was actually the author.

In summary, it's nice to see that Whovians (this may be an official term by now. Eugh.) are far more of a community than some fan groups. Authors/writers and readers/viewers can encounter each other in far more Real ways than with almost any other TV genre. I respect that, even if I do kinda hate what they've done to the stories since putting them back on the telly.

No comments: