Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Polymer Slayer

On a recent trip to Forbidden Planet I encountered some amazingly tacky Buffy figures, reduced to £1.99 each. So I had to get one, or rather, three. This was the 'Season one' set which offered Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Darla and The Master. I got the girls. As a gift, of course!

They're really really hideous. And make the Battlestar Galactica models of Boomer and a Cylon seem teeny in comparison. Perhaps the Galactica humans are smaller than we are...

After much mockery of the plastics, Ben and Ollie nonetheless took much pleasure in playing with these tiny new friends, mixing their clothes and accessories around to much amusement. So I think I'll have to pick up the toy boys (ah ha) if they're still available. After all, the model of The Master came with a see-through skeletal version as well!

I do hope they get as far as Season five. I want a model Glory with a hundred different outfits and snivelling minions.

The last few times I've been to Ollie's house he's been flashing me. With Hiragana flashcards. As a result I appear to have now pretty much learned the script, although I still get a little confused when trying to write them down since some of them really are just nonsensical.

This does mean, however, that I'm about 20 months ahead of the game; when Stephen started his Japanese degree he knew none fo them and had to frantically learn them all really quickly. If I can keep this up I'll have Hiragana and Katakana well learned by then, along with a bunch of Kanji and perhaps (?) even some grammar and vocab!

On the down side, I left my charger at home and so I can't spend all day watching House and also will have no battery left by about 20:00, meaning that my planned trip to the gym would be a TORTUROUS TEDIUM and thus, cancelled.

No comments: